Before You Get Started:
Have the following ready to go:
- A photo to put on your individual or Team fundraising page
- A brief paragraph about your passion for and connection to MAAV to explain why you’re participating in the Walk. Need ideas? We have a suggested template at the end of this instruction sheet!
Step by Step:
- Go to www.firstgiving.com/maav and click on the gold bar that says “Start fundraising”
- Select event: “22nd Annual Walk and Candlelight Vigil, 10/22/17”
- On the event page, click on “Join Now”
- Enter your email address. If you already have a FirstGiving account, you’ll be prompted to enter your password (and you can skip ahead to step #6).
- If you’re new to the site, you’ll have to create a FirstGiving account by entering your address and choosing a password. FirstGiving will suggest a profile URL based on your name. This can be changed, but it’s good to keep it short and easily identifiable. Click “Next” when this is complete.
- You will then be asked if you would like to join a team, create your own team, or choose not to join a team. If you choose not to join a team, select that option and skip ahead to step #9.
- If you’re joining an existing team, select it from the list of current teams, and click “Join This Team.” Then, click “Next.” Skip ahead to step #9.
- If you click to create a new team, you’ll be taken to a page where you must enter the team name, organization and a brief Team Story. You also set your team fundraising goal here and upload a team image. Click “Next, and you’ll be taken to a page where you can create your personal fundraising page.
- Enter your page title and choose a photo for your page. You can import your own photo or choose one of the options that FirstGiving offers. We’d love you to use a personalized photo if at all possible. Feel free to email us to ask for one if needed!
- On this same page, enter the personal message that will appear on your page. Remember: the more personalized your page, the better! See the suggested template at the bottom of the next page for suggested content.
- Scrolling down, enter the amount you would like to raise online. We suggest a range from $250-$500 dollars. If you’ve participated before, make it your goal to raise more than you did last time! FirstGiving encourages you to kick start your fundraising by making a donation to your own page. This isn’t mandatory, but we encourage it! When all of these steps are complete, click “Next.”
- On the next page, you’ll be prompted to pay for your donation if you made one. Once this is complete, click “Submit”
- On the next page, you will see a menu of options for editing your page more, as well as creating a custom thank you message. We highly recommend this step!
- SHARE YOUR PAGE! This is the most important step – you won’t get any donations if people don’t know about your page. You can send it out through FirstGiving, or by sending an email with a link to your page to family, friends, coworkers, etc. The link in the email will take them directly to the page you have just created and they just have to click on “Sponsor Me” to make a donation. You also can – and should! – share your page via social media, such as Facebook and Twitter!
Suggested Template for FirstGiving Page(The key is to make your message personal, whether it’s serious or light-hearted. Note that the video on the page is automatically embedded.)
On Sunday, October 22nd I will be taking part in the 22nd Annual Walk & Candlelight Vigil for the Melrose Alliance Against Violence (MAAV). The purpose of this Walk is to honor victims of domestic violence, promote public awareness, and raise funds for MAAV’s outreach & prevention programs. Our mission is to stop domestic violence before it starts.
- I am walking because…
- This cause is important to me because…
- I have seen the impact of MAAV has made in our community (give example)
You can also include the following:
Donate offline by sending a check payable to MAAV to:
235 West Foster Street
Melrose, MA 02176.
Please write my name or my Team’s name in the memo box on your check.
Thank you for creating a FirstGiving page! If you run into any problems, please contact Outreach Coordinator . She is happy to help!