9th Grade/Class of 2023 Positive Thoughts Spring Setlist
Compiled April 2020
Because we are not able to attend school and visit your Freshman Seminar class at this time, the Melrose Alliance Against Violence (MAAV) Student Action Board invited your 9th grade class to share songs that you feel send a positive message and/or helps lift spirits in difficult times. Here are the songs that you, the class of 2023, came up with along with the reasons you gave as to why you chose these songs. We’ve also included a YouTube link for each song so you can watch and/or listen to it!
- It’s a very soothing song, if I’m having a hard day it’ll clear my headspace.
- This song is from my favorite artist that I’ve grown up listening to and I want to replicate the dedication he puts into his dreams and to ignore the doubt and negativity around you.
- The song is about not giving up and carrying on even in the face of adversity. (At the time, the band didn’t have a big hit song and this was about how they pushed on and didn’t give up.)
- It’s a nice beat, and the lyrics are very generally supportive.
- I can relate to this song on a personal level. And I like the ukulele, it’s relaxing.
- It makes me remember good times when I am sad so it makes me happy.
- Bill Withers is a soul singer who recently passed away, I remember listening to this song when I was younger. This song always seemed to brighten the mood, I think more people should hear it.
- The vibe of this song reminds me of bringing people together and that we should be happy through these hard times.
- I thought that this song encompasses overcoming tribulations.
- I love Disney songs and this one stood out to me
- I picked this song because it just sends a message that if you fall, get up and keep trying. Never give up on what you are doing.
I think it’s just a fun song to listen to. Also pretty original.
- It reflects mental health. Things can be going really well, yet you can still feel lost. It’s addressing the pain people have but we still are together during this time.
- It’s very upbeat and everyone I’ve met has enjoyed listening to Big Time Rush
“Keep Your Head Up” by Andy Grammer (* this song was chosen by two students!)
- I chose this song because it is optimistic/positive and shares a good message that you have to keep going even in hard times.
- It has a good message to always stay positive
- The song came out a few days ago and it is written about being in quarantine and in a scary time
- I just like the song. No other reason except it’s a good and nice song.
- For anyone who has ever felt pride in who they are, and for anyone who has ever doubted the power of your own uniqueness.
“Stairway To Heaven” by Led Zeppelin
- I listen to it while I do homework.
- This is one of my personal favorite songs as it always gets me in a better mood when I listen to it and pay attention to the lyrics.
- The artist sings about his lover who is strong even through whatever they’re going through. He says “Be still, my indelible friend/You are unbreaking/Though quaking/Though crazy/That’s just wasteland, baby.” If this person can make it, so can we.
- Makes me feel like I’m not alone, that I am loved
- It was the first song that came to mind and I think it is really catchy.
*We hope you enjoyed reading about, watching and listening to these songs. Unfortunately we could not include every song we received as some were not school appropriate, but thank you to everyone who submitted music that has meaning to them. Stay strong, MHS Class of 2023!